Home - About Me - Salvation - Statement of Faith - Links

Testimonies - Encouragement - Inspiration - Message Archive



Still Learning


As a child I believed in God, but in later life I went astray. 
When I was almost eighteen I began going to Church again and was 

For many years I did not go to Church or pray very much or even 
think about God, it wasn't that I didn't believe. I just didn't 
do anything about it.

Then I was afflicted with arthritis.

When I was 31 I was afflicted with rheumatoid arthritis and suffered 
much pain and depression. After years of trying many different 
medications which didn't help, at the end of November 1968, the 
rheumatologist put me into a hospital in Sydney.

I arrived at the hospital without much hope, expecting to end up 
bed-ridden or at the best in a wheel chair.

That evening the doctor called to see me and talked to me about my 
future treatments. He told me I would need patience as I could 
possibly be in hospital for 4 to 6 months. Because, as there were 
over 130 different types of R.A. it could take that long to find out 
what type of R.A it was, and to find the right medication. He also 
told me that I would need courage as some of the tests were painful

After the doctor left I knew I needed help and in desperation I 
prayed, for the first time in many years I prayed. I really cried out 
to God for patience and courage. God answers prayers.

I was in the hospital for only five weeks as the very first test that 
was done showed which type of arthritis I had and the first drug they 
tried worked.

I believe now that once we belong to God, even though we may wander 
from the straight and narrow, He is always with us and keeps His hand 
on us just waiting for us to turn back to Him. Of course I was not 
completely healed but after about 3 yrs. the arthritis went into remission

I began to pray more and tried reading the Bible, I had many ups and 
downs but I was trying. On 28th of December 1973, I had a fall and 
broke both my legs. I cried out to God; "Why? Just when things were 
beginning to go well. I don't believe God made the accident happen, but 
He used it to teach me many things.

I was flown by air ambulance to a hospital in Sydney, where an orthopedic 
surgeon set my bones. Bert told me later that after the doctor had set 
both my legs he went home and thought about it then rang the hospital and 
told them to prepare me for an operation in the morning, as he wanted to do 
some prepare work on my right leg. I could possibly be on my back for nine 
to twelve months and that I would probably have to wear a caliper on 
my right leg.

Once again I cried out to God, and asked Him to mend my bones as quickly 
as possible and to help me get through each day. Again God answered my 
prayer, I was able to take each day as it came and the time did not seem 
to drag. I was in hospital for only four months and I did not have to 
wear a caliper.

In September 1978, some friends invited Bert and I to a Christian dinner. 
Here I had an encounter with God, He spoke to my heart. 

While the guest speaker was speaking, I had a burning feeling in my heart 
and got warm all over. When the speaker made an altar call I wanted to go 
out but couldn't get out of my chair.

It wasn't until months later, when I was reading my Bible and in the book 
if Mark, the description of the men on the road to Emmaus, made me realize 
what had happened to me that night. On Sunday morning, a week after my 
Emmaus experience, I was alone in the house and turned on the T.V, which 
I did not usually do on Sundays. There was a Christian program on and I 
sat down and watched it.

Towards the end of the program the minister said; "If any of you here or 
in the television audience don't know that, should you drop dead right 
now and face God, that you are saved, to stand up." I had never fully 
understood salvation and thought we would not know if we were saved until 
we died, so I stood.

Then the minister said; "If you want to be saved, or to know that you 
are, pray with me the sinners prayer." So I did. A couple of days after 
I prayed, my friend invited me to go to a Bible Study/Prayer Meeting group 
she belonged to the following Tuesday, so I did.

After the meeting a friend asked me to her place for lunch, but I said 
no as I had some shopping to do but she persuaded me to go and have 
lunch first. After lunch we were sitting and talking about the mornings 
meeting and my friend said something about being born again and the Holy 
Spirit. I said I was saved but didn't know anything about the Holy Spirit, 
then she asked me if I would like her to pray for me and ask Jesus to baptize 
me in the Holy Spirit. At that time I didn't know much about the Holy Spirit, 
so I said no.

Shortly after I said good-bye and left and went and did my shopping and 
headed For home. I had only gone about a mile when I heard a voice whispering 
to me to go back to my friends place. I thought I was imagining things and 
shook my head and continued. In a few seconds the voice spoke again and I 
still thought I was imagining it and continued to drive. Then for the third 
time the voice spoke again, this time I turned the car and started to drive back.

All of a sudden tears started to pour from my eyes, I said to myself this 
is silly, she probably won't even be home. The voice said, "I wouldn't be 
sending you back if she wasn't home."

When I pulled up in front of my friend's place she was out front talking to 
a neighbor, when she saw me with the tears pouring from my eyes, she came to 
me quite concerned and asked me what the matter was. When I told her nothing, 
I just had to come back she understood. 

Amazingly the tears stopped as soon as I got out of the car. I believe they 
were cleansing tears. My friend took me inside and prayed, asking Jesus to 
baptize me in the Holy Spirit. Nothing startling happened, there were no 
clashes of thunder or flashes of lightning but I felt peaceful.

My friend told me then to have faith and believe that Jesus had baptized me.
Once again I said good-bye and headed home, Something amazing did happen I 
sang all the way home.

The reason this was amazing; at the time the drug I was on for R.A was giving 
me problems with my throat, if I talked for a while or tried to sing I lost 
my voice, yet I sang all the way home. Praise God. 

Some time after that my husband told me I was a different person and easier 
to live with.

That afternoon, when the house was quiet I sat down and prayed and asked God 
what he wanted me to do now, thinking He would have me do all sorts of great 
things, self pride. The still small voice said "study and learn."

I realized then that I really knew nothing. I had not even read the Bible. 
From that day I started reading the Bible avidly and with great interest and 
there BEGAN my understanding. It is written "the fear of the Lord is the 
beginning of knowledge," this I entirely agree with. I read every bit of 
Christian literature I could get my hands on. I joined a Christian tape club 
and received many tapes and listened to them. I learned a lot but most of all 
I learnt how much I didn't know. I am still learning. 

I have had many blessings and many answered prayers since this.


Previous Testimony

Next Testimony


Back to Testimony Contents